Sunday, January 10, 2016

Recipe Review: Rueben Quesadillas

I slow cooked a corned beef brisket a few months ago.  After having corned beef the first night, I knew we needed to have it in some other recipe before putting the leftovers in a FoodSaver bag and into the freezer.  So we tried these:

Ingredients
8-10 slices Swiss cheese (Havarti also works well)
24 thin slices ( about 1/2 lb) corned beef
1/2 cup well-drained sauerkraut
Thousand Island dressing and or mustard for dipping.
Directions: 
1. Start by heating up a nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Brush 1 side of a tortilla with melted butter and place tortilla buttered side down onto heated skillet.
2. On half of the tortilla, layer 1 slice of cheese (I broke my slice up to fit on the tortilla better), then 5-6 slices of corned beef, 2 tablespoons of sauerkraut,
followed by another slice of cheese.
3. Fold the empty side of the tortilla over filling and press down with a spatula to seal. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then carefully flip to brown other side. Quesadillas are done once cheese has melted and both sides are golden brown.
Continue process with other 3 tortillas.
Cut into triangles, and serve with a side of thousand island dressing and or yellow mustard.
We really liked these, but heck, I knew we would because we liked the Irish eggrolls at that one bar back in Verona.   And every once in a while Jeff looks at Fry Daddy's and I always say no, we can't buy one.
I've made these using Havarti and Provolone (because it cost less than the Havarti), but not Swiss because I'm just not a fan of Swiss cheese.  But after the last time making them (we pulled the corned beef out of the freezer, as one does when one lives this far away from decent grocery stores), I think that maybe the flavors really need the bite of the Swiss.  I might get Swiss next time we go capital-S Shopping.  That and another corned beef brisket and a jar of sauerkraut...

No comments:

Post a Comment