Yep, it took me a whole month to go and take photos! It's well-used by now; Jeff has slept under it each night since I gave it to him. It's layer #4, and he claims he's still cold. Well, I guess I've got my work cut out for me if I need to make enough blankets to keep him warm!
|taken at the edge of our "driveway", on top of 5 months worth of piled up snow!|
This is actually the first ever thing I've made! Everything else has been things like fixing jeans, or starting a project that was never finished. I don't have a lot of sewing experience; my high school Home Ec class consisted of making a sweatshirt.
So when I saw this Packer flannel I knew that I wanted to make Jeff a blanket!
(Okay, blanket or quilt? I didn't do any piecing, but I did sew 3 layers - top, batting, bottom - together. I look at it and my brain says "blanket" but the dictionary says "quilt")
I have a beginner sewing machine, which means there is not a whole lot of room for stuffing a quilt through it. It was, ahem, a pain in the ass.
|this was the easy part - adding the binding.|
This is pre-wash; can you tell the difference in the fabric from the other photos?
But then, as I was putting on the binding (black blanket binding), I started to get really excited, and really proud of myself.
And when it was finally done, I knew that it wouldn't be the last! I don't have a great place to work on quilty stuff, but I know what I want to work on next, and I have a pretty solid idea in my head of what I'm going to make, I just need to cut!
A little more info:
- The flannel is from Joann Fabrics, and man did it fade and pill the one time I washed it. It also had to have shrunk at least 6 inches in each direction.
- It now measures about 5 feet square.
- I used 4 yards each of the top and back fabrics. For the front, I cut that into two 2-yard pieces. Then, one of those was cut again. I then took those narrow pieces and, matching up the pattern, I sewed them to the outside of the wide piece. You can see if you look closely, but obviously not visible if you're not looking for it.
- I used high-loft polyester batting.
- I'm scared to try actual binding, which is why I used blanket binding. It did allow me to use a decorative stitch, which I LOVE, and just might use on the next quilt too...