Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thank you for your service!

Today is Veteran's Day, so I would like to say, to all who served:

Thank you for your service!
We appreciate all you did for your country.



Grampa Betz
Grampa Betz served in WWII in Europe as a cook.  As the story goes, he was marching, saw a truck drive past with people in it, and asked who they were.  When he found out they were the cooks, and that the cooks get to ride to the next location, he said he volunteered to be a cook.  I don't know if that's really how it went, but it cracks me up.


Grampa Schrock served in WWII in the Pacific as a medic (sorry, no photo).  Grampa was raised Mennonite, and was therefore a Conscientious Objector (CO) for religious reasons.  I've learned more in the past decade about COs, and have found out that they were very poorly treated in the first part of the war, including being sent to internment camps, or to work in mental hospitals where they were badly abused.  However, eventually the military stopped requiring non-combat positions to carry weapons if they were CO.  I don't know if that's why Grampa was a medic, but I'm proud he was able to serve while upholding his beliefs.


Dad
Dad was in the Navy during the Vietnam War.  I learned this summer that when he went to enlist, both the Navy and the Army were interested in him based on the testing he took at that time.  Dad's cruises took him to the Mediterranean and the Caribbean.

my handsome husband is in the lower left.
Jeff was in the Army in the 80s-90s, stationed at various locations in the US as well as serving a year in Korea.  There's a long line of military service in Jeff's family also.  His dad, who I never had the honor of meeting, was career Army, which is how Jeff spent a few of his childhood years in Alaska.

Other members of my family are also veterans, including my Uncle Andy and cousin Daniel.

Again, to all who served, we Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. We truly thank all who served in the Armed Forces.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete