Monday, March 6, 2017

Farm Fun Quilt - Finished!



When I saw the Farm Fun fabric line by Stacy Iest Hsu for Moda, I thought of my cousin Sarah, and I thought, "I should order that when it comes out, just to have for if Sarah has a baby!"  Sarah is a farmer's daughter, and a full-fledged farmer herself, so I knew it would be perfect.

Well, lo and behold, we found out that Sarah's would be a mama!  Yeay!  So I pre-ordered a layer cake and a jelly roll of Farm Fun.  I find most of my quilting inspiration from Pinterest, which is where I got the idea for this pattern.  Just slice the layer cake from one corner to the other, slap some jelly roll strip in the middle and arrange.  It was such a quick cut and a quick sew - my fastest quilt finish ever (as long as you don't count the jelly roll race quilt I made for Sarah's nephew, Luke...)!  I started on the Farm Fun Quilt on January 2nd and had it finished around mid-February!  Woo hoo!  I might not be the world's slowest quilter!!!
I quilted it on my itty bitty beginner machine, on either side of each seam.
Does that "style" of quilting have a name?
I usually lay out my fabric plan on grid paper (because I'm a nerd), but this one was really giving me trouble.  I had to just cut and arrange on my design wall.  Ended up for the center squares putting the matching piece directly across from it (like a pinwheel) worked the best.  The strips were placed where they would work and not touch like-fabric.

I love the results!
Taken on the road right outside our house.  Those are the trees on our second lot.
Behind the quilt is my hunny in his bunny boots!
According to the USPS, this quilt should have arrived at Sarah's house in Friday.  I so hope that baby Timothy and his mommy and daddy enjoy it!

I used a low volume green for the binding the the back.
The quilt is just narrow enough that I didn't have to piece the back.
Unfortunately, I forgot to measure it...

I used the wide-angle lens feature of my LG V20 to take this shot.
It shows how deep the snow is.
The boards sticking up out of the snow are the sawbuck for cutting logs.
That snow would be above my knees.
See the black "dot" in the highest snow?
That's a tire that was placed there to help keep the tarp in place on top of the logs.
The snow on it is at least as "tall" as the tire is!
All the snow this year has hindered where I can go take photos.
I need snow shoes next year...
The Farm Fun Quilt is my second finished quilt of 2017.

Linking up to:
Main Crush Monday
Sew Fresh Quilts
Freemotion by the River
My Quilt Infatuation
Love Laugh Quilt
Moving It Forward

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin: My first time to your blog (found you via Main Crush Monday.) What a cute way to use a layer cake - I love it. Plus I bet you have enough fabric to make another one? It is adorable. I am sure your cousin will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to use the remaining fabrics to make a Plus quilt for a niece - we have lots of babies due this year in our family!

      Delete
  2. What a super-cute, quick quilt! I love the farmer's fabric. So sweet! And your photos are amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the colors in this quilt!!! Sarah will love it!
    BTW, the quilting you are talking about is called "outlining". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always learn things from you. :-)
      This is definitely my most colorful quilt to date!

      Delete
  4. What wonderfully amazing fabrics - a true keeper!
    Popped by from Let's Bee Social.
    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty. I'm sure everyone will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very pretty quilt. I am sure it will be appreciated. Found you via 'Let's bee social' =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over - I do love those link-ups!

      Delete
  7. I love your color combos! I know Sarah will love it. It's hard for me to imagine just how much snow is there. BTW- it'll be 90 here all week. Just sayin. mary in AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for the color combos - this is why I like pre-cuts so much - I really like to use a whole line in a quilt!
      Also, I just could NOT handle 90 degree weather... I like my summers with the 70 degree weather.

      Delete
  8. Sweet quilt!! And love the snow pictures -- we should have had more of that stuff this winter and I find I've missed it!

    ReplyDelete