Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pinterest Review: Chicken Picado (Like Carlos O' Kelly's)

We were watching TV a while ago - one of my cooking shows that I like - and they said something about Chicken Piccata, and Jeff's ears perked up.  But then he saw what they were talking about, and said that's not right.  Well, he was thinking about Chicken Picado, from Carlos O'Kelly's.  He loves Carlos O'Kelly's but we haven't lived near one in a long long time.

So I searched on Pinterest and came up with this:

Chicken Picado (Like Carlos O' Kelly's)

For the picado sauce:

1 cup milk
1 8oz. container sour cream
1 1/2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
Corn starch mix to thicken sauce (2 tsp corn starch mixed with 2 tsp water)
1 tomato, diced & drained (save juice)

For the chicken:

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
6-10 green onions, sliced thin (whites from greens after slicing)
1 green pepper, diced

Also needed:
16 oz. shredded monterrey jack cheese
1 package small flour tortillas


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit


Melt 1/2 stick of butter in saute pan over medium heat. Saute the white portions of the green onions, bell pepper, and chicken. Cover & cook until chicken is completely white. Set aside.


Combine milk, sour cream, 1 stick of butter, salt, pepper, and minced garlic in skillet over medium heat. Stir and heat till sauce starts to boil. Transfer sauce to blender & puree until smooth. Transfer back to skillet. Continue to heat till boiling. Add cornstarch mixture & stir. Add tomato juice from diced tomatoes & stir. Transfer back to blender & puree. Cover and set aside. 

In a glass baking dish (I use an 8x8) put the chicken, peppers & onions mixture in the bottom of the pan, & cover with picado sauce puree. Top with LOTS of monterrey jack cheese, the green onion & diced tomato, & bake in the oven until cheese is melted, & the sauce is golden & bubbling around the edges, about 30 minutes.


Verdict:  It was really liquidy.  I did add in the cornstarch, but I guess it wasn't enough.  I also think there is way more butter in this dish than truly necessary.  I have never had the dish that Jeff was talking about, so I don't know if the taste was right on, but I did think that it had that kind of taste you get at at Mexican restaurante.  I will try to make this again, but maybe it needs to be made like the old creamy chicken & rice dishes, where you put the uncooked rice in the dish before you bake it.  Maybe that would help...

If you've made this, do you have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made it yet, but I think I've pinned it... It is my most FAVORITE thing to get at Carlos O'Kelly's!!! YUM!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete